2.5 (4.71.2302) (1998)Chat/Instant Messaging Client Country of Origin - USA
A minor revision of Microsoft's popular graphical IRC chat client from June 1998.
From an archived blog entry from the Microsoft Chat website (accessed via Archive.org's WayBackMachine) version 2.5 of the chat client included the following new features:
- Automation rules. The same way you create inbox rules in Microsoft Outlook, this new feature lets you define responses for any event. For example, if someone whispers to you, you can make a rule that automatically returns a message or plays a sound. ("Whispers" are messages you send to specific people instead of an entire chat room.)
- New Comics mode art format. With our newly condensed file format, not only can you create your own characters and backgrounds, you can also place the files on a Web server for everyone in your chat room to download.
- Private sounds and actions. Privately send sounds and actions via the whisper box to a specific person instead of the entire chat room.
- Server networks. Start Microsoft Chat and the software now automatically locates and connects you to the first available network server.
- Login notifications. As you're chatting, get instant notification when friends log on and off your server.
- Room member lists. Find out who's in a chat room before you join.
- IRC commands. Now advanced users can employ all IRC and extended commands and view server responses using our new status window.
- Command history. Hit the up-arrow key to retrieve and send previously sent messages.
- MIDI. Create and play sound files in MIDI format.
- Powerful macros. Send complex actions, sounds, and multiple commands in a macro.
- Improved accessibility. Access the emotion wheel, member lists, and more right from the keyboard.
DetailsSoftware Name: Microsoft Chat
Software Version: 2.5 (4.71.2302)
Release Year: 1998
Developer: Microsoft Corporation
Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
License Type: Freeware
Installation Method: Install to Local Disk
Below are the system requirements (sometimes referred to as the minimum system requirements) that the software developer or publisher stated at the time of release.Operating System: Microsoft Windows 95 Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Microsoft Windows 98 Processor: Intel 80486/Intel 486
Processor Speed: --
System Memory: 8 MB
Graphics Requirement: --
Graphics Resolution: --
Hard Disk Space Required: --
Network Requirements: 9600-baud Modem
Input Devices: Keyboard,Mouse
Disk Drive Requirements: No disk required for operation
Additional Software Required: --
Other Requirements: none
Below is a compatiblity table. This table states what operating systems the software can be run upon.
| Microsoft Windows 3.0|
| Microsoft Windows 3.1|
| Microsoft Windows 3.11|
| Microsoft Windows NT 3.5|
| Microsoft Windows 95|
| Microsoft Windows NT 4.0|
| Microsoft Windows 98|
| Microsoft Windows 2000|
| Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition|
| Microsoft Windows XP|
| Microsoft Windows Vista|